Thursday, June 11, 2009

BREAKING NEWS - ACU's Hood resigns

per AcuSports.com

ABILENE -- Abilene Christian University head track and field coach Don D. Hood resigned his post Wednesday to accept a similar position at Brownwood High School.

Hood -- who took over the ACU program in August 2005 -- will be the head track and field and cross country coach at Brownwood. His final day at ACU will be July 17.

"I want to express my appreciation to Coach Hood for his service to our program while at ACU and wish he and his family the best as he moves into his new role at Brownwood High School," ACU director of athletics Jared Mosley said. "He has continued to build on the rich track and field history we have experienced at ACU and I know he will do well in serving the student-athletes and community at Brownwood."

ACU's Hood riding off to Brownwood
Don D. Hood's prayers have been answered.

The Abilene Christian University track and field coach finally found a job that will allow him to spend more time with his family. Hood announced Wednesday that he will be stepping down July 17 to become the track and cross country coach at Brownwood High School.

"Honestly, for about four or five years, I've been struggling with balancing the profession and the fatherhood and being a husband," Hood said. "I've been praying really hard that it would work out here, that we could stay here and I could still do what I felt like I needed to do as a husband. Boy, a few weeks ago, Bob Shipley called me down at Brownwood and said, 'Hey, I've got a deal for you.'

"For me, it's just an answer to prayer. I've got three girls, the oldest is 13, with five years left on my house, and I just don't want to miss what I'd have to miss if I stayed here and did this job right. I just don't feel like I can do both right."

Hood and his wife, Rachel, have three daughters -- Victoria Rose, 13, Julianne Renee, 11, and Annabeth Dawn, 6.
------------------------
The ACU track teams were penalized by the NCAA earlier this school year for several infractions. The teams, along with the football team, were put on probation for two years. Hood said none that played into his decision to step down. He doesn't expect the penalties will hurt the track teams either.

"I don't think it will make any difference," he said. "I think we weathered the first year of it, and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel here. I think it's going to be a great situation to walk into, actually."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico