Thursday, January 21, 2016

Charles Jefferson Q&A

Charles JeffersonToday's guest is Charles Jefferson defensive back who played at Rochester CC last yearn and recently gave a verbal commitment to Texas A&M-Kingsville.

LSC Scoop - Hello Charles, thank you for your time. You're not from Texas, so can you tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Charles Jefferson. I am from Belle Rose, Louisiana and went to Assumption high school in Louisiana, the same high school as Brandon Jacobs. My brother and I were raised by my grandmother and grandfather (our mom died when we was 3 years old). At Assumption I started all 4 years, I was all state my freshmen year, all-region as a junior and senior and all-district as a sophomore, junior and senior.

It hasn't been a straight shot out of high school. Tell us about the path you have taken so far.
Out of high school, I was attended the University of North Dakota. We found out I wasn't a qualifier, so I sat out my first year of college. I then went to Blinn College, tried out for the team but had family problems and had to withdraw from school. After I got all that straight I then transferred to Rochester JC where I played this year 

Tell us a little bit about your recruiting this fall. I was highly recruited from Houston, U Mass, Texas State and ULL. They dropped their interest due to me not being a December graduate. As of right now I have 17 offers (from FCS and D2 schools). As the season went on and the FBS schools weren't showing as much interest as before, I showed more interest in the FCS schools.  I also talked to the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M Kingsville before I went to Rochester and he loved my film and showed a lot of interest in me, but at that time I was stuck on going D1.

I chose to go the D2 route, because I have 3 years (of eligibility) left vs. 2 years at D1. Once I made that choice, I had to see what school would fit me best. Some of my choices were Sioux Falls, Emporia State, Minnesota State and West Alabama. Coach Brown from Kingsville and I started talking again. They were the most consistent D2 out of all of them and I fit their defensive scheme. So I talked to my family and WE made a decision that Texas A&M Kingsville was the school for me.

How solid is your commitment to Texas A&M Kingsville?
You can almost say it's a done deal with me going to Kingsville. I will be enrolled in school for the summer start in June and I am a kinesiology major.

 How did academics fit into your decision?
These next 3 years is more to me then football. I want to get my Bachelors and Masters degrees at Kingsville. I like the small class sizes, it's more one on one with the professors at Kingsville.


My brother played college football for Grambling State He won 2 championships there and had a shot at the league, but he got caught up in other stuff. I always told myself I'm going to finish what he started.


And your plans after college?
The NFL. But if that doesn't work I want to be a coach, definitely something close to Sports.

Thank you Charles. Best of luck in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico