Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Former A&M-Kingsville star set for NFL Hall of Fame

DULLES, Va. - In 1969, after his parents were divorced, 9-year-old Darrell Green moved with his mother from a nice, picturesque Houston community to the projects. He then starting riding a public bus every morning to go back to his old neighborhood and finish out the year at his old school.

"I get off this bus," Green said, "and this guy had a little shop, maybe a lawnmower shop or something. He would chase me every day. I never told my parents. I just tied down all my stuff and when I hit the ground out of that bus: Pow! I did that maybe for a month until school was out.

"He had bad intentions. He was chasing a 9-year-old boy."

So Green was off and running, and he never really stopped. Not when he started attending another elementary school and outran every sixth grader in the 50-yard dash. Not when he got to middle school and outran every boy on the track team, driving crazy the coach who begged and begged but couldn't persuade Green to join the squad.

Go to the McAllen Monitor for the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico