Friday, August 31, 2012

LSC Connection - Q&A with Terrance Joyner

Courtesy CWU Sports
We recently spoke with Terrance Joyner, a 6-5, 300 lb. offensive lineman for Central Washington. Terrance sat out last year, after transferring from Tarleton State. He went to high school in the Bronx, NY, and was his the team Defensive MVP. At Grossmont Community College, Terrance tallied 48 tackes, including 9 sacks in 2008 as a sophomore. He transferred to Tarleton State, where he played sparingly, appearing in 4 games and tallying 3 tackles.



Question: Terrance, you have taken a long and winding road to Central Washington. Can you tell us a little bit about your journey, and the circumstances that led you to each destination?
I’m from New York. New York isn’t known to be a football state so I decided to take my talent to a junior college in San Diego Ca. After starting for two years for Grossmont community college, I signed with Tarleton State in Stephenville Texas because I knew they had a good football program, but didn’t work out due to grade issues. I went back to Grossmont CC to improve my grades. I knew a few players on Central Washington University football team from Jc that’s the reason I choose Central Washington to become my next and last stop.



Q: I would imagine there are quite a few differences between the Bronx in New York and Grossmont, California, Stephenville, Texas and Ellensburg, Washington. How much "culture shock" have you had to overcome with each new school?
It was a big culture shock going from a big city to small towns. A lot of people stare at me because they are not used to seeing someone my size. A few things that I had to overcome are being able to understand everyone’s background and where they are from so I don’t step on anyone’s toes.



Q: Texas A&M-Kingsville is historically one of the top D2 teams in the country. Are you guys doing anything special in preparation for them?
No not really we treat the first week the same as the last week, we just practice full speed and try to get better everyday as a unit. 



Q:  You have switched from defense to offense and now back to defense.  What's been the biggest challenge switching between offense and defense?

The biggest challenge is getting into shape in so little time before the first game.  I played d line since the age 
of 10, meaning the muscle memory is there, just have to get up to speed and keep my motor running.


Q: What are the expectations for the Wildcats in 2012? Will anything short of the playoffs be seen as a disappointment?
Champions, yes because we all know that we have the talent and the experience to make it really far in division 2 football.


Q: More specifically, what are the feelings heading into Texas this weekend?
The expectations going into Texas are high because its a test game, meaning its going to test the defense as a unit due to losing a lot of talented players last season, plus having a new defensive coordinator and line coach.  They really have high hopes for us this season, so we can't let them down.


Q: Enough about football, what about Terrance Joyner? What career are you studying for? Who are your role models? What do you like to do with your down time?
I am majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in Sociology. I am majoring in Criminal Justice to become a corrections officer as a fall back to football. My role models are God, my Dad for being strong and raising five kids in a single parent household. In my down time I like to work out, watch film, shop, and try to get better everyday as a person.


Thanks Terrance, best of luck to you this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico