Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Q & A with Delashaun Dean

As we had announced earlier, Delashaun Dean is transferring to Texas A and M Kingsville from the University of Arizona. Dean started 22 games for the Wildcats, and is 8th on the school's all-time list with 132 receptions. He caught at least 37 passes each season for UA, with his best season in 2008 with 53 catches for 593 yards and 4 TDs.

Coming out of Fairfield High School in California, Dean was rated the #19 receiver nationally by Scout.com (and a 4 star recruit), while Rivals had him as the #40 receiver in the nation (and a 3 star recruit). According to Rivals, he received offers from six Pac 10 schools as well as Nebraska and Colorado.

We caught up with Delashaun a little while back.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for taking time with us Delashaun. Can you tell us a little bit about the circumstances that led you to the Javelinas? What kind of process did you go through when looking for a school to transfer to?
Delashaun Dean - Well it was a sticky situation where I felt I was doing something right for my safety and the safety of my family but other people saw it differently. Some of my coaches at Arizona were real cool with the coaches here and felt comfortable with me transferring here. I really had to sit down and think about the decision I was making because I don't have time to waste - I have one season to make my dreams come true, so it had to be the right fit.


What schools were you in contact with about transferring?
DD - Abilene Christian and Central Washington.

What was it about TAMK that sold you on the program?
DD - My coaches at Arizona had a strong personal relationship with the coaches here and they felt very comfortable with them and trusted them. Basically it was a trust factor.


The Javelinas return the bulk of their receiving corps. What do you envision your role to be with the team?
DD - I envision my role being that extra threat on the field. The one that teams have to always account for when they line up. Were going to have a solid group at the wide out position and I think I bring another explosive threat.

Coming from a major college program, do you think you bring something extra to the team, leadership-wise?
DD - I think I bring a lot of big game experience. Playing in the Pac-10 and two big time bowl games, I know what it takes to get to where these guys are trying to go. I'm a veteran now at this level and I have a lot of different things I can bring to the team to help them learn and be successful.


After spending 3 seasons facing off against schools like USC, Oregon, UCLA, etc., what do you expect the level of competition to be in the LSC?
DD - I definitely don't expect it to be what I'm use to or what i played against the last three seasons but I definitely think I will be challenged from week to week by every team because it's kind of like being placed on a high pedestal and everyone is trying to get to the level you are so they want to knock you off. So I have to stay on top of my game and get better every day and work harder than everyone else and I'll be fine.


What are you looking forward to the most this upcoming season?
DD - Playing with and against new faces. A lot of people are doubting me after what I went through, so I'm just looking forward to going out there every day and dominating the way I would have my last year at Arizona.


What goals have you set for 2010?
DD - To become the best player i possibly can to help these guys win and win a championship. If i do that everyone's goals will be reached not just my own.


Thank you for your time Delashaun. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the LSC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico