Tuesday, May 25, 2010

LSC Roundup 5-25

Softball News
MSU - Newberry: Change of pace is a refreshing adventure

Track & Field News
Top Times

Mills coming home to play for Tarleton

By BRAD KEITH
Sports Editor
brad.keith@empiretribune.com

Brad Mills is coming home to Stephenville to play for Tarleton State.

The 2009 Stephenville High School graduate who helped the Yellow Jackets to the 2008 4A Division II quarterfinals announced Monday his intentions to transfer from Sam Houston State to Tarleton. He red-shirted at SHSU last season.

"I'm coming home," Mills said Monday. "I'm getting all my transfer stuff done right now."

Mills set Stephenville's single-season rushing record with 1,830 yards his senior season. The Yellow Jackets went 10-4 that year, finishing second in District 8-4A then reeling off three playoff wins before falling to Everman in the quarterfinals.

But injuries hurt Mills' chances of competing for playing time next season at Sam Houston.

"I got hit with the injury bug and pulled my hamstring (in spring ball). That took me from competing for the starting spot to the back of the line," Mills said of leaving Sam Houston. "I decided it would be best to come home and be back around the people I grew up around and have been around my whole life."

Mills says his red-shirt year served him well physically.

"I'm a lot stronger than I was in high school, and I've got my 40 down to a 4.4, so I'm happy with that," he said. "I've also gotten a feel for the tempo of the game and that's a huge difference in college football versus high school football."

Mills says he is excited to play for a team he grew up watching.

"Being raised in Stephenville, I've gone and watched many Tarleton games," he said. "I've always enjoyed it there, and now my friends and family can see me play and be a part of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico