Thursday, December 17, 2009

Recruiting Insight - Jake Sims

This morning, we talk with Jake Sims. Jake was the starting quarterback at Corpus Christi Carroll the past two seasons, throwing for over 2,400 yards and 26 TDs and leading the Tigers to the playoffs both seasons. This past season in the playoffs, the Tigers defeated San Antonio O'Connor 24-10. It was their first playoff win since 2001. He was named second team all-district as a junior and senior. Despite his success at quarterback, Sims sees his football future at wide receiver. You can view his College Coaches Net profile.

Q - Jake, what an outstanding senior season, both individually and as a team. What will you remember most from last year?
JS - What I'll remember most about my past season is before the game when we would get ready for the game and my teammates tell me they were counting on me.

Q - Corpus Christi Carroll plays in a tough district, but the Tigers not only qualified for the playoffs, you won bi-district for the first time since 2001. How did it feel to knock off San Antonio O'Connor?
JS - It was a great feeling beating O'Connor, the whole year we faced a lot of criticism from last years class, and we proved them all wrong, and did something they'll never accomplish.

Q - Things did not go so good the following week. What was going through your mind as you walked off the field after falling to New Braunfels?
JS - That it was the best my boys can give me, we fought, but cant go back and change it. It was a good season.

Q - Tell us a little bit about recruiting. When did colleges start coming around? Was it ever a distraction?
JS - Schools came around the end of my junior year and no it was never a distraction, I was excited but humbled and knew my season came first.

Q - Who are the schools interested in you?
JS - Oklahoma Panhandle State, Henderson State, Clarion, Nicholls State, Texas State.

Q - What schools are you most interested in?
JS - Interested in Midwestern State as a Wr, ACU as a Wr, and Texas State is recruiting me as a Wr. OPSU and Henderson State has offered as a QB, but I am a better Wr.

Q - How big of a role do academics play in your decision? Have you decided on a major?
JS - Academics is a very vital role in my decision because I want to have a great education and never put my family in a bad spot. I would like to major in Physical Therapy I take pride in the human body, and all it can do with hard work.

Q - What strengths do you have that will help you be successful at the collegiate level?
JS - The strengths that I have been blessed with to play at the next level is great God given speed, very disciplined with an unbelievable work ethic, and tremendous athletic ability.

Q - Who are your role models, or the people that have helped you get where you are today?
JS - Keith Wagner the RB coach at ACU because he taught me the discipline and got me right in the weight room, and Justin Lucas ex ACU safety because he has been working out with me and putting my body in the best physical shape possible. Joe Pena ex A&M Kingsville QB, because he taught me composure and football smarts


Q - What teammates do you think have the ability to play at the collegiate level? Are they being recruited?
JS - Charles Coleman, our very talented RB. Ferrington Macon has committed to UTSA (and Jonathan Anderson just committed to TCU).

Thank you Jake, best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico