Friday, December 11, 2009

Recruiting Insight - Lawrence Syon


Today, we have Lawrence Syon, defensive back from Houston Bellaire. Lawrence had 4 interceptions in just 5 games as a junior, and followed that up with a strong senior season - 57 tackles, 42 solo, and 2 interceptions, one of which he returned for a TD. He really turned it up a notch in district, with 39 tackles (28 solo) in the final four district games.

Profiles: Takkle, Scout

Q - Lawrence, what an outstanding senior season in a very competitive district. What will you remember most from your time at Bellaire?
LS - I remember the first day i attended Bellaire as a junior and how my DB' coach pushed me to become a better athlete, a better person, and one of the greatest DB's that he has ever coached

Q - Tell us a little bit about recruiting. When did colleges start coming around? Was it ever a distraction?
LS - Kansas, Colorado, and Iowa State came around to see me during the spring. I would and still continuously get mail from Kansas (3-4 letters a week), but the smaller school have been calling me and are showing more dedication to get me into there school. At first the big D1 colleges were a distraction, when they started to come around during the end of my Junior year, but now my opinions are still open but the smaller D-1AA and D-2 school im likeing more espically when i have a great chance of playing in the playoffs. I havent got a change to play in the playoffs yet and I' am hungry for a chance to do that.

Q - Who are the schools interested in you?
LS - Texas State, Texas A&M Kingsville, Eastern New Mexico, Sam Houston, UTSA are all the school that i know are interested in me but now i get schools coming to Bellaire alot lately. Abilene christian came to visit the other day. They seem really interested in me and the recruit loved my size.

Q - What schools are you most interested in?
LS - Iam interested in all the schools, me signing will just depend on the vibe i get from them, what the program is about, how much the program is committed to wining and doing watever it takes to win, and openings in the DB position

Q - How big of a role do academics play in your decision? Have you decided on a major?
LS - Academics plays a big role, i made some mistakes as a freshman and sophomore in highschool and tragedy that has struck my household didnt help my decisions at all. Now I' am blessed with a lil brother that turns one years old December 5th that i need to set an example for and there has been plenty of young children who are looking up to me, so all i want is a second chance in Academics. I want to major in sports medicine and business.

Q - What strengths do you have that will help you be successful at the collegiate level?
LS - Me dedication to the game of football. I have been playing since i was five and i have been in love with it ever since. My work eithic is like no other. I went from catching passes every single day in the offseason ever since the end of my sophomore year, to having ex-NFL player Marcus Wilkins being my mentor and personal trainer, Isiah Coleman as my personal trainer, NFL Quarterback Guru Jerry Rhome inviting me to a private training session. I think that you can be blessed with talented, but success is something that has to be worked for, and believe or not there are different levels of success and the more hardwork and focus you put into it the higher and more successfull you will be .

Q - Any advice for guys that will be going through this process in the next year or two?
LS - To not worry about recruiting until after the football season, and stay focused on your grades. If you don't worry about the recruits and play hard, they will come to you.


Q - What teammates do you think have the ability to play at the collegiate level? Are they being recruited?
LS - Most Definitely my teammate Able Puntes and Jaun Rodriguez. Able lives in the weight room and he is always hyped in practice and games. The man can flat out play outside linebacker and Jaun is a beast on the o-line he might not be blessed with a lot of height but he not that short either. He gets tons of pancakes it just him getting injured made him not get that much attention.

Thanks Lawrence. We look forward to seeing you play on Saturdays soon.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

6:23 one handed catch

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico