Friday, April 23, 2010

Guinn confident he will soon find home in pro ranks

By BRAD KEITH
Sports Editor
brad.keith@empiretribune.com

Devin Guinn accomplished a lot during his four years of football at Tarleton State.

But nothing he did on the field for the Texans helped his status as a pro prospect as much as his performance in one single workout.

At a pro day at Abilene Christian University, Guinn amazed those in attendance by running a 4.4 in the 40...against the wind. With the wind (which was registering between 5-8 miles per hour, Guinn says), he was told his time was 4.38.

He ran an especially impressive 20-yard shuttle (five yards one way, 10 yards the other, then five yards back to the original starting line) time of 4.03 seconds, which would have tied for the second fastest time at the NFLCombine. The fastest was 4.00 by cornerback A.J. Jefferson of Fresno State.

“It was a great workout,” Guinn said. “I’ve never been a great (broad) jumper or bench presser, but I did okay for my size and I was real strong in the other events. I felt good about it.”

Guinn knows being drafted is a long shot, but still believes there is a home for him in professional football.

“I understand where I stand,” says Guinn, who owns Tarleton’s single-season and career marks for touchdown receptions. “I know I’m going to be a football player, if not in the NFL, then in the CFL (Canadian Football League).”

One thing Guinn is not short of is belief in himself.

“I have a lot of people supporting me and I believe in myself that I won’t let them down,” he said.
“I’ve seen the type of players that make it as professionals and I believe I can be that type of player.”

Above all, he just loves the game and wants to continue to compete.

“I love football, I really do,” he said. “I’m not ready to stop being a football player. I’m working hard, doing everything I can to continue my career at the next level.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico