Friday, January 30, 2009

Recruiting Spotlight - Reid Golson

Today we have Reid Golson, who just finished his high school football career for the Grandview Zebras. Reid had a big year, throwing for more than 3,000 yds and 32 TDs with just 8 Ints and gaining 1,300 yds and scoring 17 TDs rushing. More importantly, he led Grandview to an undefeated regular season and into the fourth round of the 2A playoffs, despite suffering an injury in the second round. The offense scored at least 31 points per game until they ran into Pottsboro.

Q - Reid, what an outstanding senior season, both individually and as a team. What will you remember most from last year?
RG - Individually I accomplished all of my goals except for winning the state championship. I wanted to pass for 2,000 yards rush for 1,000 and I wanted to get All-State Quarterback. As a team we did great. We were the best team Grandview has ever put on the football field and I can always say I was the guy that led them every game.

Q - How did it feel walking off the field after the Pottsboro game?
RG - That was the worst feeling I have had after any kind of game. I realized it was over and that was the last time I would ever play with my highschool teammates and friends. What made it even worse was that I had a severe knee injury that ocurred in the second round and I think if I was healthy we would have won.

Q - Tell us a little bit about recruiting. When did colleges start coming around? Was it ever a distraction?
RG - When other guys said that recruiting was stressful I never believed them until it started happening with me. You have coaches calling nearly every night wanting to talk to you and lure you to their school. Colleges started calling me at the end of the regular season. I sent out film halfway through the season and they would call a few weeks later. Recruiting was never a distraction for me though really.

Q - Who were the schools interested in you?
RG - Missouri Southern, Angelo State, West Texas A&M, Northeastern Oklahoma, Southeastern Oklahoma, Air Force, Mary Hardin Baylor and Hardin Simmons. Mainly just schools from the Lone Star Conference.

Q - It was originally reported that you were going to attend Mary Hardin Baylor. What changed your mind?
RG - A few weeks ago I had my mind made up that I wanted to attend UMHB. After sitting down and thinking about it I realized I wouldn't have the chance to play Division 2 football again. I felt comfortable on my visit to Southeastern and the quarterbacks coach there really is a great guy. After talking to him on the phone numerous times he said I was way better than Division 3 football so I had to take advantage of the oppurtuntity he was giving me.

Q - How big of a role did academics play in your decision? Do you already know what you want to major in?
RG - Well, at all the colleges I was looking at I knew I was going to get a great education. With that in mind I then had to see if the school offered my major, which is Criminal Justice.

Q - What strengths do you have that will help you be successful at the collegiate level?
RG - I think my arm strength combined with my ability to scramble and make plays when the pocket breaks down will be my best strengths. I can also be used for running the option and other Quarterback run plays. I think with me being a dual threat quarterback, defensive coordinators in the Lone Star Conference will have problems scheming against the offense.

Q - Who are your role models, or the people that have helped you get where you are today?
RG - Since I have been a part of Grandview football my offensive coordinator has made me the player I am today. I have learned so much from him and he has developed my skills tremendously. Also, growing up I always used to throw the football with my brother and friends. I wouldn't be where I am now without them.

Q - Any advice for guys that will be going through this process in the next year or two?
RG - When coaches recruit you they tell you everything you want to know and everything that sells their program. Research the school you are looking at and pick the place you feel most comfortable for you. Take in all their positive information but also consider which schools have the least negative things about them.


Thanks Reid, best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lone Star Conference

Angelo State University

Cameron University

Eastern New Mexico University

MSUMustangs.com

Texas A&M-Commerce

Tarleton State University

Texas A&M-Kingsville

Texas Woman's College

University of Texas of the Permian Basin

West Texas A&M University

Western New Mexico